A new version of the game is NOW LIVE!
This adds new end game content and changes to existing content and systems.
Content & Encounters
- New zone: Isle of Giants
- Features 3 miniboss fights that each reward 500 Adver
- Features 1 boss fight that combines all 3 other fights that rewards 200 Quia
- New item: Orb of Power
- Increases damage output by +1 permanently when used
- Costs 350 Quia
- You can now only complete a fight on a tile once a day
- This resets every night (server time)
- If a fight is already happening on a tile that you’ve fought on today then you can join it to help but won’t receive any rewards
- Tiles that you’ve already fought on are treated as 0% encounter chance
- Added 4 secret pets
- You can now exchange 5 Adver for 1 Quia at the shop
- The shop outside the dungeon “Prison of the Sorcerer” is now open for business!
- Prison of the Sorcerer dungeon changes
- Increased Skeleton King’s HP from 6000 to 12000
- Increased Skeleton King’s venom spawn time from 5s to 20s
- Increased Hydra’s HP from 4000 to 6000
- All encounters now reward significantly more Quia
- Made Mortus invincible
- Reduced Guard’s HP from 60 to 30
Graphics & UI
- Changed the sprite for Basic Cloth
- Changed the sprite for Dog
- Nameplates are now darker
- The Blacksmith now has “<NPC> Shop” above his name
- The “Pray” window no longer shows up on your current spawn point (this also acts as temporary visual feedback that the spawn point is set)
- Pressing F now switches between fullscreen and windowed mode
- Several changes and fixes to “New Loot”
- Renamed “Potions” section of the shop to “Misc”
- Players now face the direction that they’re moving (this is buggy!)
- Reduced number of world updates to increase FPS
- Allowed the server to send data on maximum HP allowing HP changes without requiring client updates
- Increased accuracy of playtime reporting
- Server now tracks kills, deaths and distance travelled
- You can no longer see offline players in the overworld
Here’s some more details on the release of features and content in The Cursed Tribe.
This week dailies will be added in, allowing high gear players to login daily to earn Adver and Buddy rewards. Quia will also become available on the shop with 1 Quia being worth 10 Adver. The release date of this isn’t known and will be pushed to the live servers as soon as it is ready.
The date of the Sorcerer’s Lair opening is being pushed back to Wednesday the 17th of January and PvP will open on the 20th of January. The news section of the login screen has been updated to reflect these delays.
See you in game!
I’ve just uploaded a mandatory update which opens up “Prison of the Sorcerer” a dungeon featuring 3 bosses and 1 intro encounter.
All fights reward a new form of currency called “Quia” which will be used in an upcoming update when the Lair of the Sorcerer opens. You can also earn the Lair Key (used to open the Lair) and two new secret super rare Buddies.
Download the update here!
As the fight for the Southern Mountains continues, I’ve written and released a development roadmap to give players an idea of when the full game will release and how future early access versions of the game will play out.
This is available here!
This month’s Alpha, The Cursed Tribe, introduces new animal sidekicks: Buddies! Here’s a guide on how to get them all.
The Baby Bat is a 50% drop from The Ancient Mine, found south of the Eastern Ruins (this is also the place that you get your first 4 Adver crystals before entering The White Forest)
The Dog is current only available as a 25% drop from the tutorial encounter when you first create a character. When the world expands halfway through the cycle of the Alpha, there’ll be more chances to get this Buddy.
The Beholder is a 100% drop from a chest found in The Crypt, East of Landing Point and North of the Eastern Ruins.
In order to enter the crypt, you’ll need a Crypt Key which is a 15% drop chance from fights in the Eastern Ruins. The crypt features a fight slightly harder than the Eastern Ruins but featuring the same mobs.
The chest at the end will teleport you outside of the Crypt and give you the Beholder pet along with some gold and Cloth Armour, so it’s an ideal chest to aim for when you first start.
The Snake is a 5% drop from fights in the Eastern Ruins and a 25% drop from fights in the Crypt, so if you’re lucky enough to find a Crypt Key then it’s worth looking there for the Snake.
Earth / Fire Elementling
Both the Earth and Fire elementlings are a 10% drop from the encounter in The White Forest.
There are 3 other secret Buddies that will be added in updates as the Alpha’s world expands. This guide will not be updated with the location of these as they are meant to be secret.
Got all 6 Buddies? Got ideas for future Buddies and locations? Let us know by commenting below!
The servers have just had a hotfix applied to fix several problems with The Cursed Tribe alpha.
- Revamped White Forest encounter
- Fight no longer features Savage Bat or Savage Wolf mobs, replaced by more higher level mobs
- Fight no longer gives bonus Adver (maximum of 5 per fight)
- Fight no longer gives non-existent Buddy preventing inventory errors
- Fixed a bug where you couldn’t buy items when you had the exact amount of currency required
- The Ancient Mine now features a graveyard to the south East
This is a server side update so no new download is required. Later today an optional client update will be released allowing access to a new zone and 4 new encounters.
We’ve just released the client for our month long Alpha event, The Cursed Tribe!
It’s important to note that this is an alpha and as such is not representative of the finished product.
Please make sure that you fully read the message that displays when the game launches and the news items listed below the login screen.
Windows Executable (64 bit)
Multi platform LOVE file (requires LOVE2D installed to play)
In the most southern part of the known world lies a range of endless mountains, untouched by human civilisation… or so we thought.
We’re excited today to announce our second Alpha event: “The Cursed Tribe”, which will run for a month from December 31st to January 31st.
Unlike the first Alpha (Realm of the Skeleton King), this one will focus on storytelling and introduce some new looting and fight mechanics.
It will also receive an additional content patch halfway through its lifecycle with new encounters and an expanded world.
See the full changelist below:
- Journey to the Southern Mountains, a Winter Themed area filled with new threats to conquer and mysteries to uncover.
- 5 expansive areas to explore
- 7 new encounters
- Hidden treasure chests and secret rewards
- Enhanced fight scripting system
- Mobs can now cast physical spells that create an effect on an area of the play zone (e.g, fire).
- Mobs are now able to speak
- Buddies are non-combat pets that follow you around the world and into battle
- They don’t offer any gameplay advantage and are purely cosmetic
- Buddies can be found as loot drops from encounters
- There are 7 Buddies in this Alpha:
- Encounters will now have a chance of dropping various loot as well as gold.
- Each piece of loot has a % chance and every member of a fight is given their own individual chance at each piece of loot.
- On a new “Fight Complete” screen you’re shown what loot you had a chance of earning and what roll (out of 100) you got this attempt.
- Encounter scoring system
- Fights now have a score, determined by your kill count and time taken to complete the fight.
- The top 3 scores will be displayed on the new “Fight Complete” screen.
- This isn’t necessarily a new feature, it was just turned off for the first Alpha.
- Areas left unexplored are now shrouded in a mysterious fog until you arrive there.
- Dotted throughout the world are gravestones
- When walking onto a gravestone tile you’re given the option to Pray.
- Praying at a gravestone sets your respawn location there, so when you die you reappear at that location.
- New / changed spells
- Flash of Light
- Turns you into a Flash of Light, healing all friendlies you touch by 30% per second. You cannot take damage while in Light form. Lasts for 6 seconds.
- Uses 100 Energy
- Has a 120 second cool down
- Turn into a violent tornado, increasing movement speed to 300% and damaging all enemies you touch by your weapon value per second. You cannot take damage while in Tornado form. Lasts for 6 seconds.
- Uses 100 Energy
- Has a 120 second cool down
- All enemies within 3 meters turn into angry chickens. Angry chickens attack their closest opponent for 1 DPS and explode after 5 seconds.
- Uses 100 Energy
- Has a 60 second cool down
- Spell suggested by Danjoe and Crimsnmonkey
- Phase Shift
- Phase shift now prevents you from taking damage for its duration.
- Gameplay changes
- You can now run by holding down shift
- This will drain your energy, although at 0 energy you can still run.
- You now gain less energy when moving
- Attacking now costs 5% energy (down from 20%)
- Interface changes
- The player UI in the world is now the same as the one in fights
- Zooming in and out is now smooth
- The region name indicator now has a black background for improved readability
- Fixed a bug where spell animations wouldn’t display in the overworld
- New theme music
As our last Alpha, Realm of the Skeleton King, drew to a close we released an additional super difficult dungeon as a send off to the enemies faced by players in the game.
Here’s a video of a developer and two players fighting off against not one, not two but three Skeleton Kings.
More details on our Christmas themed alpha event are coming shortly, so stay tuned!
The servers for Realm of the Skeleton King are now down to all but our Patrons.
Thanks so much to all who took part and gave feedback. We’ll be unveiling the title and theme for the next Alpha this week, so stay tuned!